Alpinia oxyphylla is a herbaceous plant that produces the "Yi Zhi Ren" fruit, also known as Black Cardamom or the "seed of wisdom".
- Anti-T2DM (Prevents Type 2 diabetes mellitus)
- Modulates gut microbiota
Disease / Symptom Treatment
- Decreases urine albumin excretion.
- Decreases resting blood sugar levels.
- Improves glucose intolerance.
- Decreases Glycated hemoglobin levels.
- Promotes more efficient glycemic control.
- Renal injury: Diabetic Induced Renal Injury can severely disrupt the architecture of the kidney, causing lesions and tubular atrophy.
- 500 mg/kg of Alpinia Oxyphylla attenuated renal damage and nearly fully recovered kidney structure.
- Inflammatory conditions
Title: Alpinia oxyphylla Miq. Extract Prevents Diabetes in Mice by Modulating Gut Microbiota
Author(s): Yiqiang Xie, Man Xiao, Yali Ni, Shangfei Jiang, Guizhu Feng, Shenggang Sang, and Guankui Du
Institution(s): First Affiliated Hospital of Hainan Medical University, Haikou 571199, China; Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Hainan Medical University, Haikou 571101, China
Publication: Journal of Diabetes Research
Date: 4 June 2018
Abstract: Recently, the role of gut microbiota in the development of obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) has been highlighted. We performed an 8-week administration protocol on T2DM (C57BL/6J db-/db-) mice and fecal samples were collected. Comparisons of fecal bacterial communities were performed between db-/db- mice and normal mice (DB/DB) and between the db-/db mice treated and untreated with AOE using next-generation sequencing technology. Our results showed that the db-/db-AOE group had improved glycemic control and renal function compared with the db-/db-H2O group. Compared with the db-/db-H2O group, AOE administration resulted in significantly increased ratio of Bacteroidetes-to-Firmicutes in db-/db- mice. In addition, the abundance of Akkermansia was significantly increased, while Helicobacter was significantly suppressed in the db-/db-AOE group compared with the db-/db-H2O group. Our data suggest that AOE treatment decreased blood glucose levels and significantly reduced damage of renal pathology in the T2DM mice by modulating gut microbiota composition.
Citations: ↩ ↩